Criminal Background Checks
Performing a criminal background check is a smart move.
Criminal background reports are an integral part of resident screening. NTN provides multistate criminal reports, statewide reports and county criminal reports that exemplify today's industry standards. County criminal reports are the most reliably accurate as they are researched manually. State-wide or multistate criminal data is provided directly from state computer systems. While NTN procedures provide you with the most reliable criminal data available, some states provide less than perfect data. It is important to remember:
- Not all local courts provide information to the national databases.
- Many municipalities only provide a subject's name, or name and date of birth; use diligence in determining if the records reported are actually your applicant.
- Criminal history is not always reported in a timely manner.
- Criminal records can be expunged over time, so historical information may not be available.
- The federal Fair Credit Reporting Act prohibits reporting of criminal records over 7 years old unless the case resulted in a conviction.
- The Multistate criminal Report DOES include search of the National Sex Offender Database.
How long must you wait?
NTN subscribers have access to criminal background reports searchable from many local, county or statewide databases.
For most county searches, however, it may take from one to three business days. (These searches are generally done in each county manually by courthouse researchers.)
Order reports individually or in combination packages. Contact your local office for pricing.